Tuesday, January 12, 2010

J's Best of Picks for 2009

J: Yes, the inevitable year-end wrap up. However, not being much for lists per se, I’m going to put my two cents worth in a bit differently than my PIC did. Here goes:

Best Movie of 2009: I gave this an awful lot of thought because I was torn between two excellent films. However, I had to be true to my review and stick with “2012” as the best movie of the year. As a long-time loyal Trekkie this was a VERY difficult decision and, in the end, better science (more to the point, lack of science) won out. I have watched “Star Trek” several times now since its release on DVD and I just cringe when Young Spock and Old Spock have their little confab at the end of the movie – I can’t help but hear the fabric of space-time ripping to shreds in the background! My second big issue remains the infamous Red Matter. Come on now, couldn’t the writers have given just a little more thought to that? Even a made up chemical sounding name would have been better! And I’m truly sorry but watching Spock snogging Uhura every chance he got still turns my stomach. While those negatives broke the tie, it was the quality of the characters, the fabu special effects and the fact that 2012 lived up to my expectations that sealed the deal for me. The relatively happy ending, for an apocalypse anyway, also sold me. 2012 fits my theory about hoping for the best but preparing for the worst very nicely. Can’t wait until the DVD comes out! Congrats! Now, for a few other succulent picks:

Worst Movie of 2009: This was easy but somewhat unfair to my PIC – “New Moon” hands down. Even Michael Sheen as Aro was not enough to save this muscle bound mess. The review in the local paper named Kristen Stewart as the real vampire in this movie because she sucked the life out of it – so true. Look for a similar Worst of for 2010 because, after dragging my PIC to Avatar, I have to return the favor by seeing the next Twilight movie without the benefit of Michael Sheen to save it. Dracula help me!

Funniest Movie of 2009: Flew solo on this one – “Zombieland” was the funniest movie I’ve seen in awhile and got bonus points for having zombies in it. Doesn’t get much better than that, folks!

Best Movie With Vampires and Extremely Sexy Lycans of 2009: Yeah, that’s right! I felt so bad that I couldn’t fit “Underworld: Rise of the Lycans” much less any other of the Michael Sheen movies we saw this year – although I gave “Frost-Nixon” consideration as Best of the Year – that I decided to make up a Best of just for him. Sue me! That’s how Team Michael rolls!

No comments: