Sunday, November 22, 2009

New Moon

K: New Moon, the second installment in the Twilight saga, was a fairly decent movie. It hit all the high points in the book and told the overall story pretty well. It was fun to see the Cullens again, and I'm glad Jasper got a line in the movie so we could hear his southern accent. I like that Rosalie got a couple lines to explain a bit about why she doesn't want Bella to turn into a vampire. But I'm sure the back stories of Jasper and Rosalie will never make into the movies, nor will those of Esme, Emmet and Alice. Carlisle's was at least hinted at in this one.

The best thing about this whole movie was the Volturi, the ancient and powerful governing body for vampires. The Volturi are led by Aro, expertly played by Michael Sheen. Sheen stands out as a seasoned professional among the entire cast of amateurs. He is deliciously evil and power hungry and I'm bummed that the Volturi won't be making an appearance in the next movie.

The second book was all about the wolf pack and I was a little disappointed that they didn't go into more detail about it. They could have spared a minute or two to explain the pack mentality and how they're all connected all the time (and that they all hate it). They very briefly mentioned that a pack member has to (i.e., physically cannot do otherwise even if they want to) follow the Alpha's orders. I was most surprised that they left out the imprinting since it has a huge impact on the ending of the last book. But I guess they're going to follow the pattern of the Harry Potter movies and just chunk it all into the last movie.

My complaint about the special effects is that when the sun hits Edward he radiates light like a light bulb is inside him and shooting out of his pores. The effect is worse than a disco ball. I much preferred the low budget sparkle of the first movie which happened to match perfectly how I imagined Edward in the sun.

Overall the movie was decent. It's a must-see for Twihards, but for the mere Twi-curious you might want to avoid the movie theater chaos and wait for the DVD.

J:
Ah, "New Moon", a little movie about vampires, werewolves, and zombies. Zombies, you ask? Well, certainly not the George Romero variety and I'm not sure even those would help this movie as much as they improved Pride and Prejudice. I'm referring the to zombie-like performances of pretty much the entire cast. Now, I will be the first to admit I'm NOT a Twihard, nor even a fan - more like a Twi-not. I was, however, highly motivated to join my PIC because of the presence of Michael Sheen as Aro. It struck me as a little odd at first that an actor of the caliber of Mr. Sheen would want to be involved in a trifle of a film like this until I realized that his daughter is probably about the right age to be a Twihard and, if that's the case, I applaud any father willing to make that kind of sacrifice for his daughter! The bonus of that altruistic act is that we get treated to about 15 minutes of a great performance and the rest of the cast gets a master class in the craft of acting. How did I like the rest of the movie, you ask? Beats the hell out of me - I slept through the rest! Thanks, Michael, for letting me enjoy at least a few minutes.

No comments: